Friday 20 November 2015

Arashi - Ai wo Sakebe review [Single + Performance]

As promised in my Japonism album review, I will be reviewing Ai wo Sakebe. Mainly because it wasn't on the album so I couldn't talk about it there, and also because I actually have quite a bit to say about this single. So, first up I will talk about each of the individual tracks, then the PV+Making, and then... I don't have any of the performances downloaded on my computer, but I watched all of them (I think?) so I'll review whatever performance I can find still streaming online.

Before I start, I just want to say the thing about this single was that I was really surprised when it came out because I had totally forgotten about it. It's the song to a wedding CM or something right? I'm still not really sure what it was for, but yeah. So, when it came out I wasn't excited or happy, I was just downright confused and sort of blah, because weddings. Blergh. But... in the end, I was pleasantly surprised.


Songs:
  • Ai wo Sakebe: I wasn't too hooked on this song at first until I saw the PV and then I was very, very, hooked. It was a slow process though. I remember hearing the song, being "meh", watching the PV and enjoying it and then thinking I'd move on and whatever. But the god damn "ai ai ai ai" part was so catchy and I found myself humming it all the damn time and then before I knew it I was putting this song on repeat and yeah. So. Damn. Catchy. Most favourite single of the year for sure. 
  • Yume ni Kakeru: With a name like Yume ni Kakeru you can already tell it's going to be one of those "ganbatte, achieve your dream" songs, and well... yeah. Once you've heard one song like this, you've pretty much heard them all so, moving on. 
  • Mr. Lonely: Not my style. If it was a shade edgier/darkier/jazzier, I think I'd really have enjoyed it, but nope. 
  • It's Good to be Bad: So, you remember More and More for the Sakura single and how I pretty much fell in love with the song and it made the whole single 50,000x better? Well, guess what? I love this song. This should have been it's own single. If not a single, this should have been the promotional song to an amazing album--an album which also would have included More and More. I want to see this performed in their upcoming concert See, this is Arashi branching out, being edgier and trying out new things. This is Arashi releasing an awesome song. Why are the songs on Japonism and even The Digitalian not even half as good as this song? WHY? Seriously, I had this song on repeat along with Ai wo Sakebe for the longest time--without the rest of the tracks. Just these two songs, over and over. I seriously cannot get over how much I love this song and it makes my heart ache that this was not part of an album. What a waste. If this was on Japonism, I would've bought the album in a heart beat. Also, I can imagine the dance for this song (if they ever perform it) being super awesome. 
  • I say: This is also a really solid song and I could see it being on an album as well--it would've been the song I called boring on the album, but I think in terms of character it could've held an album spot. When I hear this song, I listen to it--it definitely catches my attention and I enjoy it, but it doesn't stick. It's not something that I would go out of my way to listen to, or remember once it ends. There's no discernible moment that really stands out, but if it is playing, I definitely perk up a bit and pay attention to it. 
PV:
The PV really got my hopes up for the making of by showing Arashi actually rehearsing for the song. Like, yes, they still showed Arashi rehearsing in the making of, but this was them rehearsing for the wedding, whereas in the PV you saw them laughing and fooling around and it looked fun! Besides that, I thought the concept of the PV was cute. Yes, it's been done before, crashing a wedding, but still. It's cute. Is it a particularly eye-catching and gripping PV? Not really, fun to watch the first time and for the small parts that show the members rehearsing, but not exactly gripping. I kind of wish they had either done the 100% story route--like yes, crashing an actual wedding is awesome (even if they didn't necessarily crash it), but I miss story-style PVs like from My Girl and they were already halfway there! 

Making (point form):

  • I was so excited when I saw how long the making of was and then I realized the entire second half was about their JAL jet. What a bummer :( 
  • Random - but how did they get Arashi to appear for the wedding? Like, did Jstorm send out a request to people holding a wedding, or is the couple actually related to the music industry/Jstorm in some way so they had the connection?
  • Jun possibly referencing Shun's wedding  
  • Lol, Nino being so into the song while watching the groomsmen 
  • Haha, Jun just being like "NOPE WOULD NOT PLAN A WEDDING" - although I think that makes sense. He can plan concerts but weddings also depend on your spouse and often their families and also the MC etc. etc. Although Aiba being super cute about talking about planning a wedding xD I feel like he would become a ...groomzilla? I feel like he'd get super carried away with it =P
  • Nino never been to a wedding probably because he chooses not to go, let's be real, that is 100% the case. Also, how does Sho have so many weddings to go to, how many people does he know?
  • Why didn't they ask Jun if he'd ever acted out a wedding? Like, hello, he did the wedding - WHY DID YOU NOT TALK ABOUT IT. 
  • OMG MATSUMIYA MOMENT <3 I love how Jun just grabs onto Nino's shoulders and nudges him and Nino just moves. *sniffles* I can't take this shit.
  • And don't think I didn't notice that Sho was on the other side so of course Jun wouldn't go there since you know - he's pretty much allergic to Sho (sorry, I still find Sakumoto interactions hilarious - or lack of I should say)
  • Jun seriously looks so good this year though. Why. What is up with him. Seriously. Dude is aging backwards.
  • Lol at the bride's reaction to Arashi, it's like her arms are having a mini-spasm
  • I guess it's a standard now to add in the dance video? I remember back in 2009/2010 talking to my KPOP fan friends and discussing how KPOP groups actually released dance MVs and I guess Arashi is picking up on that now but only for their making ofs--which I prefer because an actual dance-only PV sounds really boring to me, that's what performances are for
  • Okay, that's all.

Performances:

I'll just talk about the dance rather than the specific performances because I don't really want to watch Ai wo Sakebe performed three times. What to say? Jun always looks super happy when they perform this song, so I think he really likes it. Nino and Sho also look pretty into it most of the time too. Well, Nino with the ass-slapping. Sho just keeps making faces at the camera which I think are supposed to be like... well, not cool, but he keeps making faces that I can only express as 決め顔. But it's not really like he's trying to be cool, just like, striking a pose? Anyway. The dance is super cute though and entertaining to watch. Also, thank you VSA for using the special effects to help me realize that the Kaze Trio were actually making a smiley face. I kept wondering what the hell they were doing with Aimiya shaking their hands and Jun in the center and it finally made sense! Also, Yama with the heart. 

It's a very fun song and it has a fitting performance to match. :)

So overall, what did I think of the single? I like it a lot to be honest. I think the song is really cute and catchy and it gives me warm fuzzies. The performance is adorable. It's Good to be Bad makes the entire single worthwhile. Do I care much for the making of or PV thought? Not really. Also - I think it's good that it isn't in the Japonism album because it would've sounded so out of place.

So that's all for this time. I decided I am not writing a review for the Kokoro no Sora PV and making because... uh. I didn't find either to be that interesting. As for what I'll post next.........? I have no idea. ^^;; 

No comments:

Post a Comment