Friday 26 February 2016

Arashi - 復活LOVE [review]

The first Arashi single this year has been released and despite only being the song for a CM, they packed a lot of money into this one. So, what do I think of all the effort?



Songs:

  1. 復活LOVE: I didn't really know what to think of this song at first. It's not really my style, but I love the way they sing it--they sound really good. Especially Ohno. Oh my god, the way he opens the song is just so, so, so, good. Aiba too. Those first two lines just sound so good. The thing that really tripped me up and stopped me from instantly falling in love with the song though was the pacing for the chorus because I feel like it kind of stretches out a bit too long? What makes up for it though is that the lyrics do not repeat themselves, ever, so actually by the end of the song I actually get used to the pacing. Overall? It's not my style of music -  and it never will be, but I can still appreciate the song for what it is and I still appreciate the quality of it. This is a good, solid, well-made song and definitely worthy to be the lead to a single.   
  2. 愛のCollection: Hmm... interesting opening, I am excited. Ooh, I can tell I'm going to like this song already. I like this song. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is about it, but I like it. It's got a strong beat, catchy, kind of mellow but not to the point of boring. It reminds me of 90s western pop at certain periods. Granted, I was like.. 5-6years old during the 90s so my memory isn't too great, but that's the feeling I get and I like it. It's just a really... chill song I guess? A catchy, yet chill song, which apparently falls right into my alley. 
  3. Bang Bang: Wow, my reaction to the opening of this song was the complete opposite of Ai no Collection--do not like. I get the image they're trying to portray with this song--and I can see a very clear image in my mind of... not Broadway? But, guys in suits wearing bowler hats and canes and dancing in line on a stage, really slick and stylish. Like a quartet? Quintet? Anyway--this song definitely gives me a very strong image, but it just.... really is not what I like listening to in any way at all. Fukkatsu Love isn't my style either, but I don't necessarily dislike how it sounds--it's just not what I would normally go for. This song though is just ... like... nope. Nope. Nope. I don't think I can even listen to it in it's entirety without wanting to skip to the next song. I won't say it's a bad song because production and quality-wise, it is very distinctive and well-made but it just really is not what I like in a song.   
  4. Are you ready: Eh. It's... definitely the weakest song on the single for me. It's not super bland (they've done blander), but compared to the first three songs, this song just... doesn't even compare. The first three songs in this single had so much character. Regardless of whether I liked them or not they definitely left an image in my mind that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. This song? Not so much. But as I said, it's not super boring, just comparatively to the other three it isn't as interesting. 
  5. Affection: Oops, I didn't know the LE had another song! Thank god I found out about it though because this song is so pretty. It just sounds so beautiful and is so calming to listen to. The base melody reminds me of something you'd hear in a romantic Chinese epic, except with a modern Japanese boyband twist. Honestly, this song sounds like it should have been put in the Japonism album--hopefully they decide to sing it in their upcoming arena tour because it would work so well. All I imagine with this song is feudal Japan... or Ancient China... (I know they're two totally different things--but the melody reminds me of China and they're singing in Japanese so....). But seriously guys, this song is so pretty. I can see why it is a favourite for a lot of people :) 
PV:
I'll be honest, as cool and awesome as it was for Toma to be in the PV..., frankly it really wasn't that interesting of a video. Toma walks around and looks sad while Arashi dance around looking cool. There is a vague "story" to it, but when I heard that it was going to be a PV with a story I immediately imagined something along the lines of Aozora Pedal and My Girl and this was nowhere close to that. So, I was a bit disappointed in that respect. Arashi looks super nice though and I like the dance.

What really has made me appreciate this PV though was the making of. Seeing how they filmed some of the scenes in one continuous shot was really cool. I had kind of assumed that they were just doing some really quick slicing and cutting during the transitions between members, but nope. I don't really know much about film so maybe it's not that cool, but the timing and prep--especially for the elevator to hallway transition, I mean, that looked hard! I don't know, I thought it was cool. So yeah, anyway, after seeing just how they filmed those scenes... I guess it made me appreciate the PV a lot more than I initially had.

The premise of it is still pretty boring to me, but at least now when I watch it I can think back to the making of and appreciate it in another way :).

Performance:
Arashi and mic stands are just a win-win any time, and it is no different with this song. I love the performance for this. Ohno and Aiba look so damn cool with their opening lines (and they just sound sooo good) and just... like. I don't even know what my favourite part of the performance is because I honestly like all of it and everything. The music station performance especially--the VSA one was nice, but oh man their music station performance was just so awesome.

If I am lucky and get to go to the Japonism arena tour I will die if I get to see this song live.

Overall:
I absolutely love this single. Like, yeah, not a huge fan of Bang Bang and Are you ready as songs, but Fukkatsu Love and Ai no Collection make up for that--as well as the super interesting making of, Toma in the PV and the performance. THE PERFORMANCE FOR THIS SONG.

Solid 5/5. I think this is the most pleased I've ever been with an Arashi single.

2 comments:

  1. Neat review! I enjoyed reading it. :) Have you heard the LE coupling song "affection"? I was just curious about your thoughts on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for reading. Yes, I have listened to "Affection". Although when I wrote the review I didn't know it existed. Oops!

      I like the song! A lot! It is such a pretty song. The melody reminds me of a song you might hear in a historical Chinese drama, except with a J-Pop twist. This song would've fit right in to the Japonism album. Sadly I haven't been listening to it much since I haven't been in a "ballad" mood lately - although I would be soooo happy if they sung this in their coming up concert! It really would go great with the Japonism theme!

      Delete