Tuesday 25 October 2016

Arashi - Are You Happy [review]

It's that time of year again! The leaves are changing, the weather is getting cold, and what is this? A new Arashi album being released? Unfortunately I am not in Japan anymore to bask in the amazingness that is this album (and if I was, I would've picked up this album instantly). But, thanks to the internet, I've still got a copy of the songs and now it's time to give my review. And if you haven't noticed... for once I'm not starting off sounding like a total downer!




1. Drive
Within the first beats, I already like this song and then it turns from like to love. This is such a good opening to the album. I feel like it sets up the rest of the album really well, and gives you a good idea of what sound the rest of the songs will have (even if all the songs are so different) but this song is like... a good in between of everything. Also, I love the tempo to this song. The strong steady beat in the background is nice to jam to. I guess it's a good song to listen to while driving xD It's like... a fun head-bopper, but it's also not too crazy, so it's also kind of relaxing in a way. Good for a drive. Keeps you awake, but won't really take your attention off the road (I don't know why I'm saying this considering I don't even drive).

2. I Seek
You can read my review about the song [HERE]. I don't think my opinions have changed much for the song along - but in the album it really fits. I really do wonder why they didn't perform this song on M-Sta with DYGI instead of Ai wo Sakebe since I feel this song fits so much better.

3. Ups and Downs
The opening to this song made me nervous because it didn't really sound like something I'd get in to, but surprisingly once they get into the singing it turns out okay for me. I think as a song by itself, it's really not my type. It's a bit too "loud", but it's not bad. It's just not... excellent. It's okay. It's an interesting song, but I don't really know what to say about it. I think sound-wise it's a bit too all over the place for me to get a really good feel of it. But again, not bad - I can bop to it, but I'd never go out of my way to listen to this song on it's own.

4. 青春ブギ (Seishun Boogie)
Oooh, this song is a lot different from what the name implied. I was expecting a very 70s disco sound, but it's not? I've heard some people say it sounds like a Shounentai song and it really does - which is right up my ally because I realize I really like Shounentai songs. I kind of like the mysterious feel of the song (I am not listening to the lyrics so I have no idea if it's actually mysterious). But it sounds mysterious. Lol, wow, that was some very fast singing. I am excited to see a performance for this. I feel like it could almost turn out like Masquerade but... even better.

5. Sunshine (Sho Solo)
Alright, we've hit our first solo on the album and I am sorry but this is such a boring song. It's not bad, I can listen to it, but it's so unmemorable. It's the problem I've always had with Aiba's solo.  It's got a melody and someone is singing it, but it still somehow sounds like background noise. Like. There is nothing about this song that remotely stands out to me.  Sure there is the rap, but even that is pretty lacklustre since he's pretty much singing the same words over and over and it's really short. I just can't... it's just so... bland. *Pats Sho*.  You tried. Who was it that said in VIP Room once that Sho was refreshing like a gentle breeze, but he was so refreshing that he just kind of... blew off into the background? xD Yeah, that's how this song feels to me.

6. 復活LOVE (Fukkatsu Love)
You can read my review about it [HERE]. As I've always said, Fukkatsu Love was a very well produced song. Anyone could tell, but it didn't strike a chord withe me right away. Over the year though, I eventually grew to really like this song and it's definitely high up there on my playlist. It's true though, overall this style of song isn't necessarily a favourite, but it's hard to dislike such a well-produced song and so eventually... it eventually got me. And within the context of this album it still stands out as one of the better songs - so seriously, props to FL for being one of Arashi's best songs in years. If this song came straight after Seishun Boogie it would be so good, although I guess Sho's solo is forgettable enough that it will feel like that anyway. Oops. *runs from Sho fans*

7. Amore (Aiba Solo)
Yo, the opening to this song was so deceptive. I thought it was going to be another ballad, which I would've been pretty excited for because I did genuinely like Yozora no Tegami, but then we get NANANANANA and I like this solo. It's good! It's so much better than Sho's! (Okay, I'll stop, but considering Sho's was the first solo on the list and it was that, I'm kind of nervous). But oh my god, this song is so fun and catchy and I'm excited! Aiba has always done lively and upbeat songs, so it's no different from his usual, but it's got a maturity and grounded-ness that Sho's current solo (and Aiba's past solos) have lacked. Two years running and  Aiba has put out quality stuff - I'm genuinely torn about whether this is actually better than Mr. Funk. I think this might lose out slightly though, but still. This is a sweet song. It sounds like the theme song to Power Rangers. :D

8. Bad Boy (Ohno Solo)
Oh god what is this. I can't. I am really bad with electro music and this is just... I cannot. I want to turn it off right away, but for the sake of the review I'll listen to this song until the end but oh my god this is really fucking hard. I can't. When the autotune clears off from Ohno's voice, this is actually a really nice song.  Those high notes are beautiful, and also - the performance to this song is going to be sick. I am all ready for Ohno to absolutely blow my mind. But I just cannot with this song at all. It's way too electro and it is giving me a headache.

Also... some people have said it's kind of like Perfect Human by Radiofish or Gangnam Style and now I can't get that out of my mind which... doesn't make the song better or worse considering Ohno is saying "I'm a bad boy", like, really? The thing is - I would probably really like this song if they had just toned off on the electrobeats, but the problem is... this song wouldn't work without them, so I'm kind of torn. It's not a bad song, but I just can't. The electronics really just makes my ear and head hurt. I'm sorry Ohno :( On a bad day, I think this song might actually give me migraines. It's the way the electronics go in and out, it really... hurts.

I honestly can't tell if it's this song or Sho's that are my least favourite. I think Ohno wins out though because it's not a boring song, it's just the electrobeats that really gets to me. But I can appreciate that the vocals and the quality of this song are really good... but omfg the electronics. I can't.

9. WONDER-LOVE
Oooh this song is so refreshing after Ohno's song. And it was supervised by Nino right? Nino has got taste. This is such a nice song. Sorry, I'm still kind of reeling from whatever the hell Ohno's solo was and so now I'm just soaking in how refreshing this song is. I really have no other words for this song. It's just... really nice and refreshing.

10. また今日と同じ明日が来る (Mata Kyou to Onaji Asu ga Kuru) (Nino Solo)
I have no words for this. I love this. I love this so much. I love low-Nino and I love how minimalist the instrumentals are to this song. This song is pretty much carried entirely by Nino's voice and it's beautiful. Just from the opening beats I was already hooked. The instrumentals by themselves are just really relaxing, but then  it's balanced with the power of Nino's voice which gives this song that extra umph!

11. Daylight
You can read my review about the song [HERE]. Opinions for this song haven't changed either.  It's kind of weird to hear it straight after Nino's solo though since it's such a different sound. This song is so uplifting and upbeat in comparison, it's almost kind of jarring. But... I guess they really had nowhere else to fit it so *shrug*. It's not like it doesn't fit the album, but I guess overall it would be one of the weaker songs.

12. 愛を叫べ (Ai wo Sakebe)
Review about this song can be read [HERE]. Um... yeah after Daylight it's... alright I guess? I mean, the song  has always been okay to me. It's fun, it's catchy, it's "ai ai ai" etc. What more can I say. Does it fit the album? Sure...? The album is pretty eclectic in terms of sound anyway, but just the flow from Bad Boy -> Wonder Love -> Nino's solo and the jarring transition we're getting now is a bit off-putting in a way.

13. Baby Blue (Jun Solo)
Another song where the opening made me feel nervous. What is with Jun and songs with openings that make me nervous? Also the opening is long which makes me even more nervous but oh my god, then Jun starts singing and it's so nice. Guys - I just said MatsuJun's singing was nice. I have literally never said this, ever. But this song is so refreshing and relaxing and it kind of gives me the same feel as Sugar and Salt or Kono Mama Motto from Sho, but with Jun's voice, which omg this is so fucking good. This song is seriously so refreshing though oh my god. If this song came right after Nino's solo it would be even better. I think I might have to remove Daylight and Ai wo from this album because yeah, they are messing with the flow. Sorry.

14. Miles Away
Guys. Guys hold me. This song is so pretty. I can't. Oh my god. Like. The thing about this song is there is so much potential for this song to be the most boring snoozefest but it's not. It sounds so pretty. I love the soft drum beats in the background and the soothing level of their voice until the song starts picking up. But it's still just such a relaxing song to listen to. Aaah this song is so prettttyyyy. Yo. In concert. This song. Tears. So much tears. So pretty. Ohno and Nino's high notes at the end, oh my god this is so pretty. Like. What. Oh my god, this song. I can't. Can it never end? Favourite song on the album that is not a solo, whaaaaat. THE ENTIRE ENDING OF THIS SONG IS SO NICE. All the overlapping voices, oh my god I can't. I CAN'T WITH THIS SONG.

15. To My Homies
Sho. Sho. You tried. I'm sorry, Sho is just not doing it me this album. I was pretty excited with the opening, and don't get me wrong this is way better than Sunshine, but it's still kind of... eh in comparison to the other songs? Okay - that's kind of harsh. It's pretty much on par with Ups and Downs, but considering it came after Miles Away, which has been crowned best song on the album, it becomes even more lacklustre than it should be. I mean. It's a cute song. Just. A bit. Bland. I guess. *hides from Sho wifeys*. It's just... the song never changes from beginning to end. It literally just goes through the same pattern for almost 5min? Yeah. No. That's way too long to keep repeating the same tempo in my ear. Zzz....

16. Don't You Get It
Review of PV + Making of [HERE]. As for the song - as I said in the post briefly, it's a good song, but it's not the best song they've ever released. Overall, it's also not my style for the same reason Ups and Downs isn't. It's a bit too loud. But it's fun and I think it was a good song to use for the PV despite appearing at the end. I feel like it works though. You start off with Drive, end off with this and sort of loop back around. It almost feels like you've come full circle. Overall, again, is it the best song on the album? No. But it fits and I feel like it works as a good transition back in to Drive to give the album a circular feeling where you won't ever stop listening to it.

17. Two to Tango (Bonus track)
This is a song I really don't know what to think. The only word I can use to describe it is... interesting. It's just... such a weird song. I can't get a feel for it at all. I guess if I had to say whether I liked this song or not, I'd say.... no. I would not go out of my way to listen to this ever. It's a cool song though - it's very different, but I just cannot get into it at all. It feels like something you'd hear during the credits of a 007 movie is how I'd put it. Not bad, not good, kind of weird, but... yeah.

---

Okay, so if you haven't guessed I am actually really impressed and in love with this album. I actually think this might be one of my most favourite albums Arashi has released since BNMF. Which is an achievement considering my absolute lacklustre reviews of Digi and Japo. Like. I would give this a solid 10/10.. although I might bump it down to 9.5 because Ohno's solo seriously has the potential to trigger migraines and Sho's solos is just way too boring.

But oh my god the quality of all the songs is through the roof. Just the production and the sound and the instrumentals. None of these songs have sounded cheap, or lazy, or generic at all (minus Sho's solo *cough*). If anything it's the singles, (mostly Ai wo Sakebe) that have sounded the most cheap and low quality, but the rest of the songs are so on point. I am so proud for these guys. If I'm ever in Japan, or I see a copy of the album I'm picking it up right away. Especially if I see the LE because seriously, how can I not.

Arashiiiii <3 Finally an album that you have released that I am totally in love with <3. I can't wait to read concert reports now!

2 comments:

  1. Huuum... I liked your review!! I kind of liked Sho's solo. I can almost see him singing the chorus at the concert. Ohno's was a disaster. Really. They took Arashi's best singer an made his voice so artificial. Hated it. Nino never disappoints me. Aiba's solo was ok, I guess. Matsujun is surprising me. I liked his Japonism solo and I liked this one as well.
    It's a good album. Not my style, but it's good.
    What's your favourite Arashi album? Mine is LOVE <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!

      Ohno's solo is one of those songs that fans either love or hate, and it all depends on if you like electropop or not xD. I give him points for doing something new, but sadly, it wasn't my style at all. Jun's solo was SUCH a surprise for me, but a great surprise. And Nino. Nino is the winner of this album <3. His solo and the song he supervised (Wonder Love) were soooo great.

      As for my favourite Arashi album - it's Boku no Miteiru Fuukei. AYH happy is a close second, LOVE would be 3rd. Although, the albums I actually listen to the most are Arashi's older stuff from 2003-2006 (How's it Going, Iza Now, ONE, Arashic). Why are none of these in my top 3? Because... honestly, quality wise they're really not that great. I would not be recommending any of these albums to get people into Arashi's music. I still like them though - they're nostalgic. To me, part of the reason I like BNMF and AYH so much is because they feel like the upgrade, higher quality version of Arashi's older stuff. ^_^

      Delete