Tuesday 25 October 2016

Arashi - Don't You Get It PV + Making

I don't think I can say enough about Don't You Get It. As a song it's not the best thing in the world - I like it, but it's no Fukkatsu Love or Ai no Collection, but it's pretty good. No - for Don't You Get It, it's not the song that is the part I love - it's everything that has come with the song. The performance, the PV, the making - all of these things that Arashi appear in are the reason I fell in love with Arashi. All these things are exactly what I feel Arashi is.



Let me explain. My favourite Arashi PV of all time will always be Kitto Daijoubu. Why? Because that is my image of Arashi. Rainbows and crack. Weirdness. Silliness. You watch Kitto Daijoubu and your instant reaction is W.T.F? It's cute and silly and fun all mixed into one rainbow coloured package (and Sho telling you he'll make love to you from Sunday to Monday, every, every, every day). Don't You Get It gives me the exact same vibe. I know a lot of people are saying it's like Happiness or Troublemaker but... (and this might surprise people?)... I actually found those PVs incredibly boring. Like, boring to the point I was never able to watch them from beginning to end. 

So what's different with Don't You Get It? I think it's the controlled silliness that's within a certain setting. The thing about Happiness that made it hard for me to get in to was there was no setting - no story. It was just Arashi fooling around in a house, but not really... doing anything of substance. That's not interesting to me. But Don't You Get It has the members obviously trying to impress someone and actively being stupid while doing it. You are transported somewhere with them and you feel almost like you're apart of their silliness. It's great. It's fun. And you are part of that fun! It's the same sort of fun that came with Nino catching the hat on his head in the KD PV (did I seriously just call it KD? Kraft Dinner?)

With Happiness it was just "yeah, let's have fun" but (and with Troublemaker) it was hard for me to engage in the PV because I just couldn't connect with what was going on. But with KD and DYGI, it's like "We're being complete dumbasses, join us" and that's what appeals to me I guess. 

Now onto the details of the PV that I absolutely loved:
  • DOGGY!!!!!! (the cutest thing in the PV)
  • Arashi playing with doggy!!
  • Nino shoving Ohno xD
  • MatsuJun picking up the dog and waddling off-screen. I could watch this forever. 
  • Jun (is my bias showing? sorry, not sorry). 
  • The dress shirt and suit vest combination that is making Arashi look hella fine as they do the choreo (BTW THIS DANCE IS TOTAL CRACK WTF)
  • Arashi being ridiculous and silly in a slightly self-deprecating way (they know they're being way over the top.
  • How they kind of switch to zooming OUT of the set so it's like you're watching them filming the PV while actually making it the PV?
  • The dance is so stupid I can't even
  • MATSUMIYAAAAA
  • Arashi getting destroyed by the fan xD (OHNO POOR BABY HIT IN THE FACE)
  • Ohmiya mating dance lolwut (I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PUT THAT IN)
  • Ohno with the sunglasses omfg baby
  • Seriously Ohno and Nino just... not being able to move because of the fan omfg
  • That moment where they come out of the H like omfggg that entire sequence as they walk out of the studio I fucking can't
  • Even the opening where Jun nudges Aiba when they see the girl walk by is cute. 
  • DOGGIE FOLLOWS GIRL OF COURSE YOU DO DOGGIE <3 (cutest thing in the PV)
  • IT'S JUST SUCH A GREAT PV OK GUYS I CAN'T HANDLE
Thoughts on the Performance

...Oh. My. God. *dead*. Just. Fuck. I can't even. It's so good. It's so... crazy. There is SO much going on in the performance you could watch it 10 times over and still not catch everything because SO MUCH STUFF. The sunglasses in the beginning which I wish they'd kept throughout. (They were apparently $220? Daaamn). The over the top solo dances. The hips. The fact that they look like they're having So. Much. Fun. Like. Seriously. They looked so in to their own performance that it was impossible not to get excited along with them. 

I just love it. So much perfection. There are no other words I can give to describe this. Just pure and utter perfection.

Thoughts on the Making Of

I tried to liveblog while watching the making of and I was just going to make that my thoughts, but it just got very long and flaily and pretty much was just a lot of DOOOOOGGGGG and OHNOOOOOOOO. So. I gave up on that idea. But guys, this making of is so great. As you'd expect from an already hilarious PV, but Arashi was really just ad-libbing and messing around all over the place and half the cuts were stuff that just happened--like Ohmiya mating dance, Jun waddling with the dog and Aiba chasing the dog off screen. But seriously Ohno. Oh my god OHNO. He was just so hyped up and messing around the entire time. And then you have Sho just laughing at everything and anything anyone was doing. Sho <3 Laughing <3.

Yo the dog though. Let me talk about the dog. Jin-tan. Jin-tan you precious adorable being. Jin-tan who doesn't care about toys and keeps waddling off set back to his owner. Jin-tan who keeps breaking free from the leash. Jin-tan who won't move. Jin-tan who is the most perfect puppy. And then Arashi witih Jin-tan. Junba with Jin-tan. Kaze with Jin-tan. JIN. TAN. *steals*

..I'm still not over the dog. Please return after I have gotten over the dog. And Ohno.

Also, the dance for this PV is pretty hard. I felt sorry for them xD Sure, it's mostly a lot of repetition of the same moves, but it's fast repetition. A lot of details and little steps. Having to do the same thing while being blown by a fan (poor guys xD). Jun just bitching about the footwork because Jun. *pats Jun*

Seriously, just so many little things about this PV and Making that make me just want to go back and re-watch it whenever I feel bored, or sad, or upset, or whatever. ...Mostly to see the dog. *cough* WINNER OF THE PV GUYS. IT IS THE DOG.

---

Okay, so final thoughts.

Honestly. How long has it been since I've been so satisfied with an Arashi PV, performance, and song package? How long? I feel like I've never felt this satisfied actually. There has always been one thing that has let me down. If it was a great song, the PV was okay - not bad, but you know, not OMG THIS IS AMAZING. Or if the song and performance were good, PV was meh (more often than not, that was the case). But with this, Don't You Get It, I am honestly so happy. I actually read back all my reviews and I've always had something to complain about but for once, I've got nothing. Literally nothing negative to say. I guess the one dissatisfaction is the song isn't awesome enough, but just the fact that the song could create a PV and performance like this already makes it damn awesome.  

To be this song is literally the epitome of Arashi. It is what Arashi is to me and how I see them. Fun, wild, silly, and happy.

*wipes tears away*. Yes Arashi. I am very happy. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment