Saturday 31 December 2016

Come on 2017, bring whatever you got

It has reached that time of year again - the end of it. Is 2016 finally coming to an end? It's almost a bit hard to believe. I honestly can't believe tomorrow is January 1, and yet, I'm also super excited and eager for 2017 to come. Before I'm going to let that happen though, it's time for my usual year-end review post!




Games Played
- Mass Effect
- Journey
- Mass Effect 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Xenoblade Chronicles [stopped]
- Persona Q
- Dark Souls
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- Puzzle and Dragon Z
- Rhythm Tengoku
- Professor Layton: Azran Legacy
- FFX-2[PT]
- Fire Emblem: Awakening*


Shows Watched
- Sailor Moon*
- Coffee Prince [7/17]
- Botchan
- Akamedaka
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Steins:gate
- Sekai Ichi Muzukashii Koi
- 99.9
- Sanadamaru [13/50]
- Hetalia: Axis Powers
- Erased
- Tokyo Ghoul: Root-A
- Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu
- Nobunaga Concerto [3/10]
- Once Upon a Time s6
- Modern Family s8
- Code Geass [5/26]
- Yuri on Ice


Books Read
- キノの旅①
- One Piece vol
- どんぐり民話館
- バッカーノ2002 [A Side]
- バッカーノ2002 [B side]
- バッカーノ2001
- Shinobi no Kuni (マンガ)
- Hidamari no Kanojo
- Narratage
- Harry Potter: The Cursed Child
- The Gift of Therapy
- Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (マンガ)
- The Colour of Magic
- The Raven Boys


Movies Watched
- Hanna
- Carol
- Captain America: Civil War
- Ant-man
- Deadpool
- Zootopia
- Haha to Kuraseba
- Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended)
- The Devil wears Prada
- Legally Blonde
- Pokemon: The First Movie
- Kimi no Na ha
- Umemachi Diaries
- The Jungle Book
- X-Men: Apocalypse
- Creepy
- Key of Life
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Star Wars: Rouge One
* - not my first time playing/reading/watching the time
[PT] = watched a playthrough


1. Did you enjoy this year?
Overall, yes. 2016 has been an awesome year for me. I was living in Japan for the majority of the year, working, playing video games, relaxing. I've made a bunch of new fangirl friends through chat groups of LINE (something I never thought I'd have). I went to see Arashi in an arena concert, which was the absolute highlight of my year. I've started on the first few steps to becoming a certified counsellor, something I've always sort of dreamed about becoming. It's not as great as living in Japan was, but it's a start to something. A sign that I'm moving forward. So yeah, overall - I definitely enjoyed this year!

2. What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?
I actually saw Arashi. Not as tiny specks from the back of the dome, but up-front and real and live. ...AHHHHH. Okay, but for real.
  • I actually celebrated the new year by having drinks at a bar.
  • Missed the last train home and had to bunk over at a friends place.
  • Actually played American games - and shooters at that! 
  • I went to Korea for the first time in my life.
  • I moved to Toronto.
  • I watched a movie alone at the theatres. (It was Harry Potter). 
I'm sure I did a lot more new things, but this is all I remember for now. 

3. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
Apparently my resolutions last year included: running, and karate (the rest were more things I'd do if i didn't get in to grad school, bu I did). 

Let's see. Did I keep any of these? Nope. Not at all. I sort of went out for a couple runs sporadically, but by the time spring and summer rolled around, I was about as active as a sloth.

For next year?
  1. Work out. Bulk up. Gain weight. (I've actually invested in a pull-up bar so the chances of this happening are marginally higher?) 
  2. Get a job at some point - doesn't have to be permanent, but I'd like to be making some money again.
  3. Learn Korean - this one probably won't happen, but eh. Why not. 
4. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I know of. 

5. Did anyone close to you die?
Again, not that I know of. Hear's hoping for another year where I can provide the same answer!

6. What countries did you visit?
Seoul (Korea), Taipei (Taiwan). Didn't do as much travelling as last year, but eh. Still pretty good.

7. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016? 
PS4. I can't say PS3 because technically I did own one throughout 2016 (my friend let me borrow his until I left Japan). 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting in to graduate school at Canada's top university, and passing N1. They don't actually feel like achievements to me personally, but I guess they are still "achievements".

9. What was your biggest failure?
Stuff related to my sister. Don't want to talk about it. Not much else to say. 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? 
Nothing like the flu, fever, or that sort of illness/injury, but I did have the couple odd days where I felt like my head was about to explode, like I'd been run over by truck, and today - the very last day of the year, I had quite a severe allergic reaction! So... nothing serious, but definitely had my fair share of "performing under 50%" days.

11. Did you have to go to the hospital?
Nope. Hoping it stays this way for a long time.

12. What was the best thing you bought?
The Are You Happy hoodie. I love it. Wear it all the time at home. It will be one of my most prized possessions for ever and ever.

13. Where did most of your money go?
Travelling. Wow. That's a first. 

14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Japonism show in Arena. Aiba's smile made of sunshine aimed straight at me. The Fukkatsu Love performance. THE ENTIRE THING. GIVE ME A DVD ALREADY DAMN IT.

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Study Korean probably. 

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Nothing. I happily indulged in all my hobbies to my  hearts content. 

17. How did you spend Christmas?
At home, didn't do anything big. Went to a family dinner at night. Christmas Eve was much the same except aunts came over to our house and I ate a ridiculous amount of steak while building a puzzle. 

18. What was the best book you read?
Hmm... I quite enjoyed reading the Baccano light novels. Shinobi no Kuni was also a great manga, and I'm really excited for Ohno's movie. So... those things.

19. What did you want and get?
Arena tickets. Also, got into grad school. But first and foremost - arena tickets. *dies* 

20. What did you want and not get?
A part time job. Here's hoping I'll stop being a lazy bum and actually try properly to get a job next year. 

21. What was your favorite film of this year?
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Any other answer is incorrect.

22. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I met up with a friend for lunch. I think that was about it. I turned 22.

23. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Actually learning Korean. Getting a part-time job or a legit volunteering position. 

24. What kept you sane?
Video games. Arashi.

25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
-Family relationships are complicated. 
-Everyone has problems that they can go to counselling for. 

26. What was your favourite moment of the year?
Japonism Show in Arena @ Shizoka Eco Park Arena, July 23. Favourite moment of my life.

27. What was your least favourite moment of the year?
The couple days just before I was about to leave Japan. Leaving Japan. The current end of the year - these past couple days have been a real roller coaster ride for me. The Jun!rumours got to me a lot more than they should have (it's stuff like this that always gets you by surprise), and my subsequent allergic reaction today.... 

28. Did you make any new friends in 2016?
Yep. A ton actually thanks to the LINE group I joined and at school. ^^

29. What was your favourite month of 2016?
Uh. July obviously. 

30. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
Again, related to my sister. Don't want to talk about it. 

31. How much money did you spend in 2016?
A lot, but I also saved a lot. Most of my money went to travelling probably.

32. What was your proudest moment of 2016?
Proudest? Hm. Perhaps when fellow classmates told me I was great at giving presentations. I've never personally thought that about myself, and I remember for one presentation in particular I was very nervous going in, so to come out of it with praise like that did make me re-evaluate my own skills a bit more. 

33. What are your plans for 2017?
Get a part time job. Get an internship position. Survive school. That's about it - nothing big. 2017 is a transition year for me - one of those years that will eventually lead in to the next big stage of my life, but it's still the middle of the  mountain. So, I'll just keep climbing at the same steady pace I'm going at right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment